We noticed that The Journal published a feature recently on some of Dublin’s oldest houses which included No.130 Thomas Street:
This plain and modest building (which was also featured on the Sunday Times – 11th October 2015) has hidden treasures inside. The roof was close to collapsing when it was purchased in 2014 but since then structural remedial works were carried out in conjunction with Dublin City Council’s Conservation Department.
The 17th century staircase was restored with help through grant funding from the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht (via the Structures at Risk fund). The stairs has original decorative barley sugar balusters, individually hand turned, with profiled timber risers, treads and handrails.
The building can be traced back to the 1640s. The main structural oak beams were analysed by Queens University with felling dates of 1639 identified. This makes the building one of the earliest urban domestic structures in Dublin.
The building is currently in use as a Barber’s shop at ground floor (Fades and Blades!) with an apartment on the upper floors.